Storage tanks and process tanks are industrial containers used for a variety of purposes. They can have several configurations depending upon factors such as dimensions, arrangement, orientation, and wall configuration.
Process tanks and similar equipment have many applications in several industries such as chemical processing, petroleum production, food and beverages, oil and fuel processing, power generation, water applications, and more.
A double-walled tank is designed to provide secondary containment by enhancing the protection against tank failure. It can be customized by adding ultrasonic level indicators, leak detectors, and tank ladder assemblies to identify and monitor in case of any leakage.
Types of Storage and Process Tanks & Equipment
Primarily, there are eight types of tanks used to store liquids:
- Fixed-Roof Tanks It is made of a dome or cone-shaped roof that is attached to a cylindrical shell permanently. It is typically designed to contain vapours and liquids, is completely welded, and comes with a breather valve that allows it to function with internal pressure or vacuum.
- External Floating Roof Tanks (EFR) It is open at the top and doesn’t have a permanent roof. It is the best type to hold liquids that have a low density such as diesel, crude oil, and kerosene. It comes with a radar gauge to prevent the fluid from getting contaminated as well as to avoid anyone falling inside the tank.
- Internal Floating Roof Tanks (IFR) The IFR is a cone-shaped piece of equipment that has a floating or suspended roof inside that moves upwards as the level of liquid increases. It is used to hold fluids with a low melting point such as gasoline and ethanol.
- Domed External Floating Roof Tanks It is the result of retrofitting a fixed roof to an external disposed or floating roof tank. It has circulation vents that are installed at the top of its roof.
- Horizontal Tanks It is a small sized tank built for underground and above-ground service. To ensure structural integrity, the length of the tank is typically less than six times its diameter. It has gauge hatches, pressure-vacuum vents, and openings to provide easy accessibility.
- Pressure Tanks It is designed for the containment of internal and external pressure due to any source such as heat from a direct or indirect cause. Pressure tanks are made in the shape of a sphere, cone and cylinder. They are often used to hold liquefied gases such as chlorine, ammonia, butane, propane, and LPG.
- Variable Vapour Space Tanks It is fitted with vapour reservoirs that help withstand any volume fluctuations due to pressure and temperature differences. Though it is often used independently, a variable space tank is usually connected to one or more fixed roof tanks. It has two types, flexible diaphragm tanks and lifter roof tanks.
- LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) Tanks This is a special kind of storage tank used to store Liquefied Natural Gas. It can be found in LNG carriers, above or underground. It has double containers, the outer one holds insulation materials, while the inner portion has LNG.
Get Durable & High-Quality Process Tanks and Equipment
At Crimtech Services Ltd., we provide design and fabrication services to a variety of clients from the energy industry. We have several types of tanks such as above ground water storage tanks by PlasTank, double-walled tanks, and more. Our team of experienced and knowledgeable technicians will help you find the right type of storage and process tanks suitable for your business.
For more information about our services and products or to discuss your project, you can reach out to our specialists by calling 1-866-549-7151 or 587-200-2953.You could also fill out our online form for a project quote.